IT IS RARE TO SEE A LADY MAKE SHOES IN NIGERIA, YVONNE IDAHOSA BEATS THAT…

IT IS RARE TO SEE A LADY MAKE SHOES IN NIGERIA, YVONNE IDAHOSA BEATS THAT.

Yvonne Imuetinyan Idahosa, from Benin City, Edo state Nigeria is a young lady who is able to beat that Nigerian mindset of “shoe-making is meant for only men”. In Nigeria, there are some jobs that are believed to be too stressful and tedious for women one of them is shoe-making; we will take you into a journey of how Yvonne was able to beat this mindset.

MEET YVONNE IMUETINYAN IDAHOSA

Yvonne Idahosa born into a family of 4 is a graduate of the Department of Animal Sciences from University of Benin. Yvonne is now an entrepreneur in the field of shoe-making and hopes to make her company much bigger in the next coming years.
Yvonne Imuetinyan Idahosa.
“I am a leather manipulator! I know what I mean 😊 just like clay in the hands of the potter so is leather in my grasp. I turn leather into whatever e.g shoes, slides, wrist straps, key holders,ear piece holders and other leather accessories.
I have always been a creative person, all thanks to God for that. My interest has always been on fashion designing and making/revamping of shoes and bags with Ankara but along the line I fell in love with leather, how the feelings grew I still can’t relate but all I sure know is it makes me so fulfilled.” Yvonne said when asked to talk about her field of work.
It's been said dat "d man who keeps trying will run out of failure ways one day!… Persistence is d key!!! The world is big enough for everyone to be successful innit, keep trying,keep moving and if u dnt know how to get der follow d 👣👣 of dose who do. Me writing dese have got fears too dat wen I think on it…it just breaks me down but wat to do dan to trust God!! Find strength in ur weakness, trust ur process and in all commit ur ways to d lord, he is sure to direct ur path! Wishing u a splendid week ahead 😘😘 And thanks for d feedbacks🙌🙌 I appreciate Pls don't ask y his name is saved as "jeep guy"😂 dnt b an aproko! 😝😝 Speaking of following d footsteps of dose who do😁😁 already two weeks into my training tutored by @aeeshacollections_page it's been a blessing… I bless d day we met, u nor go understand but sha know u are loved💕💕 although I still have tiny beef 😒😁 God bless u!!! #motivationalmonday #appreciationpost #sheshomaker #handmade #madeinnigeria #entrepreneur #feedbacks #halfshoes #bossbabe #de__grandeur
A post shared by Yvonne.I (@itzzzz_yvonne) on 

HOW YVONNE’S JOURNEY INTO SHOE-MAKING BEGAN:

Yvonne Idahosa will now tell you how she was able to beat the Nigerian mindset: “It all started in October when I realized how in love I am with leather. Started making slides with a little experience I had studied online, I had no formal training then. They didn’t really come out good but I had hope and also had my best friend George..a very special friend. He was my motivation!!! Only a good friend would give you tough love. He introduced me to the one I call my inspiration 😊@aeeshacollectionpage. She turned out to b my tutor! I celebrate her.”
“It’s been a glorious journey. So I hooked up with her and she was lovely, she taught me wholeheartedly. I had to leave Benin city to Lagos to begin the training. Stayed with my friend Cynthia for the months I stayed in Lagos. This is why I value friendship so much… Friends that want the best for you should be a goal.”
“I celebrate my friend Cynthia, she was a friend indeed! From Iyana Ipaja to mushin every day was no joke 😊 but I bless God for everything!”

YVONNE’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE IN SHOE-MAKING:

Yvonne Idahosa explained that one of her biggest challenge in the field of shoe-making is her gender since most Nigerians expect it to be a man’s job they are somewhat skeptical she might not be able to do the job well.
Yvonne Imuetinyan Idahosa
Yvonne Imuetinyan Idahosa.
Here is what Yvvonne said about it: “Shoemaking is predominantly done by men in this part of the world so being a woman in this line of business you sure have to strive for perfection. This is because generally, women are considered weak so it is taken that the quality criteria might not be met. You can imagine someone referred to you and tells you “I hope your work is neat o” or “hope u can make it exactly like the picture I sent you on WhatsApp o”, probably that question would not be relevant if the shoemaker was a guy so it takes conviction for people to patronize from perfection and quality criteria. So it’s safe to say my gender as a woman is my biggest challenge.”
Here is what Yvvonne has to say to young and aspiring entrepreneurs: “It is to Work on yourself. Be the best you can be and never give up even when it seems to be “not working”, trust me I have been there. Be consistent because it’s been written in the holy scriptures that a diligent person shall stand before great men and above all be prayerful! Trust me it works!”.
To aspiring female shoemakers here is what Yvvonne has to say: “And to aspiring “she-shoemakers” be awesome! Don’t get intimidated by your gender, be bold and in all be the best!”

Yvonne Idahosa has also said she values true friendship: “It gives me joy when young people especially girls have dreams and fight through to achieve goals. The world would become a better place if young people have entrepreneurial minds.
And as for true friendship, I value it so much because friends that patronizes you wish you the best… They wish to see u grow and that is wat friendship is all about.”
“I really want to acknowledge my Mom…She is my backbone!! God bless u my irreplaceable 😘 my awesome Dad 😘and to my only sibling Janis, kid sister with a golden heart 💕…My friends also, they have been good friends and supporters, Deby, Alphy, Ben, Evi, Rayfield, Nobj, Gideon, Christie, Lynda, ify, king Zee just to mention but a few! I love you guys!!!”